The National Overseas Scholarship is a scholarship offered by India’s Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. Students from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds can take advantage of this program and study abroad at an approved and recognized university.
- Female students are eligible for 30% of the total National Overseas Scholarships.
- The National Overseas Scholarship can be used to pursue master’s and doctoral programs in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, and other countries.
- This scholarship scheme pays for registration, medical insurance, travel fees, and other additional charges.
- Students must pass all needed examinations to study abroad at Boston University, Harvard University, University of Iowa, and other schools.
Even though the National Overseas Scholarship is accepted by the majority of colleges in Australia, the United States, Germany, Canada, and other countries, candidates are urged to double-check before beginning their application process.
SC, ST, and OBC applicants for the National Overseas Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- For Masters: A minimum of 55 percent of its undergraduate equivalent is required.
- Minimum of 55 percent or master’s level equivalent for a doctorate
- Applicants should be aware that individuals with suitable experience will be given priority.
- Maximum Age: Applicants must be under the age of 35 on April 1, 2020.
- Maximum Allowable Income: A family’s overall income must not exceed 6,00,000 INR.
- Children Criteria: Only two children from the same parent can enjoy the benefit of the National Overseas Scholarship.
- Along with these prerequisites, candidates must also meet the minimum score requirements of examinations such as IELTS, PTE, GMAT, GRE, and others.
Important points to note
- The scholarship does not apply to bachelor’s degree programs.
- Candidates who have already established themselves or are studying in another country will not be considered for the scholarship.
- This award is available to a maximum of two candidates from a single household.
National Overseas Scholarship Details
The National Overseas Scholarship covers the following costs that a student may incur while studying in a foreign country. The following expenditures are covered by the scholarship:
- Maintenance Allowance
- Contingency Allowance
- Poll Tax
- Incidental Journey and Equipment Allowance
- Visa Fees
- Tuition Fees
- Medical Insurance Premium
- Air Passage
- Local Travel
Field of Area Covered by National Overseas Scholarship
- Engineering and Management (32 seats)
- Both pure and applied sciences (17 seats)
- Agricultural and medical sciences (17 seats)
- Accounting and Finance in International Trade (17 seats)
- Social Sciences and Humanities (17 seats)
This plan was created by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for the benefit of socially oppressed classes so that they might study abroad. Under normal conditions, the plan anticipates that students would return to India after completing their education and work for the government for a minimum of five years.
Application Process for National Overseas Scholarship
The application form for the National Overseas Scholarship will be available on the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment’s official website starting in the first week of February itself.
Registration for the unfilled slots for the National Overseas Scholarship 2022 will be open in the 1st week of September to October. (as expected )
Within the specified time, students must submit a full application together with all relevant documentation. All students must provide self-attested copies of the following papers to the Ministry:
- Date of Birth Proof
- All degrees, diplomas, and certificates, as well as mark sheets
- College/University Offer Letter Income Certificate of Family
- Note: Admission to the chosen university in Germany, Canada, or the United States is required.
Note: Admission to the chosen university in Germany, Canada, or the United States is required.
Selection Process for National Overseas Scholarship
The National Overseas Scholarship Selection Committee analyses all applicants fairly. Candidates who meet the qualifying requirements are considered for the scholarship grant.
In addition, the National Overseas Scholarship Committee considers the following factors:
- Only applications received before the deadline will be taken into consideration.
- Those who have already been accepted to a university in the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, or elsewhere will be given priority.
- Students who have not yet been accepted to an overseas university will be considered conditionally.
If two or more applications are tied for first place, the following method shall be followed:
- First and foremost, available unfilled female application seats will be awarded to the most qualified individuals.
- The remaining vacancies will then be filled by qualified candidates beyond the age restriction, with the oldest candidate receiving the first open position and following slots in declining order.
How to Apply for National Overseas Scholarship?
With summarised information, this scholarship is advertised in newspapers and other media. Applicants must apply online through the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment’s official website.
This portal will be open from February 15th to March 31st of the same year. If any slots remain unfilled, the portal will reopen in the first week of September and close 45 days later for the second selection period.
Follow the procedures below to apply for a National Overseas Scholarship for scheduled tribal students:
Step 1: Go to the official website of the Government of India’s Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Step 2 – If this is your first time applying, click “Register,” or “Login” if you have already registered.
Step 3 – To register, fill out the form with your information, upload any relevant documents, create a password, and click “Submit.”
Please disregard these instructions if you have already registered.
Step 4 – In the following box, click “log in,” input your credentials and captcha code, and then click “Sign in.”
Step 5 – In the next window, click “Apply” under National Overseas Scholarship.
Step 6 – In the following window, fill out the application form with all of the essential information.
Step 7 – After that, submit all of the necessary papers and click “Submit.”
When the program opens, you’ll be given a reference number; write it down for future reference.
Hope we have covered all the complete information on eligibility, requirements, the application process, and the selection process. Feel free to contact us in case you have any doubts or queries.
🥰 Share with this your friend you wish to take abroad with you!